Freedom of Information
Before you decide to make a request for information under Freedom of Information (FOI) from Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail, why not explore our website? The information you seek may already be available.
What is the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2014?
The FOI Act 2014 enshrines in law the right of members of the public to obtain to the greatest extent possible consistent with the public interest and the right to privacy, information in the possession of public bodies, other bodies in receipt of funding from the State and certain other bodies which is not routinely made accessible to the general member by said organisations. Access to information under the Act is subject to certain exemptions and involves specific procedures and time limits.
What are your rights under the Freedom of Information Act 2014?
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 establishes three statutory rights:
- The right of amendment to records relating to personal information where it is incorrect, incomplete or misleading
- The right of the individual to access reasons for decisions that affect that person directly
- The right of access to records held by Government Departments and other public entities that come under the remit of the act.
The purpose of the Freedom of Information Act 2014 is to ensure greater exercise by the public of the three aforementioned statutory rights regarding accessing records. An individual can ask Iarnród Éireann for:
- Any records relating to them personally, regardless of when they were created
- All other records created after 21st April 2008
What is a record under the Freedom of Information Act 2014?
A record can be defined a:
- book or other written or printed material in any form (including in any electronic device or in machine readable form),
- a map, plan or drawing,
- a disc, tape or other mechanical or electronic device in which data other than
visual images are embodied so as to be capable, with or without the aid of some other mechanical or electronic equipment, of being reproduced from the disc, tape or other device,
- a film, disc, tape or other mechanical or electronic device in which visual images are embodied so as to be capable, with or without the aid of some other mechanical or electronic equipment, of being reproduced from the film, disc, tape or other device, and
- a copy or part of any thing which falls within paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d),
and a copy, in any form, of a record shall be deemed, for the purposes of this Act, to have been created at the same time as the record.
How to make an FOI request to Iarnród Éireann?
Should you require additional assistance with making an FOI request, please contact email@example.com or 01-7034293.