Iarnród Éireann teams up with Samaritans this July
Iarnród Éireann teams up with Samaritans to promote the power of listening
This July Iarnród Éireann and Samaritans want to promote the power of listening as part of ‘Talk to Us’, Samaritans annual awareness month. Samaritans volunteers will be present in train stations across the country throughout the month to encourage people to talk about what’s troubling them.
Listening is crucial to helping people find their way through their problems, and the charity would like to encourage people to seek help early, rather than when they reach a crisis. They want to encourage people going through a tough time to talk about their problems either by reaching out to someone they feel comfortable talking to and by calling Samaritans on 116 123.
The charity is also encouraging people to become better listeners by following their listening tips SHUSH:
- Show you care: focus just on the other person, make eye contact, put away your phone
- Have patience: it may take time and several attempts before a person is ready to open up
- Use open questions: that need more than a yes/no answer, & follow up e.g. ‘Tell me more’
- Say it back: to check you’ve understood, but don’t interrupt or offer a solution
- Have courage: don’t be put off by a negative response and, most importantly, don’t feel you have to fill a silence.
Make sure to keep an eye out for volunteers who will be appearing in stations across the country this July:
1st - Newbridge & Longford
8th - Athlone
10th - Colbert, Limerick
12th - Heuston & Gorey
14th - Connolly & Greystones
15th - Kent, Cork
22nd - Drogheda & Waterford
24th - Thurles & Ennis
29th - Roscommon