Frequently Asked Questions
If you are travelling Dublin to/from Ballina, Cork, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Rosslare, Sligo, Tralee, Waterford or Westport and you wish to reserve or book a seat, select a "Seat only reservation" ticket on irishrail.ie. It costs from €5.00 per person each way.
Looking for more information check out our FAQ Where do I find Information on the Free Travel Pass? Customers are advised their is limited availability for seat only reservations online.
Step by Step guide to booking a Seat Only Reservation
- Step 1 - Enter your origin and destination in the 'From' and 'To' fields, select a 'Single' or 'Return' ticket and select your date(s). Select the type and number of passengers travelling on the journey e.g 2 Adults 1 Student
- Step 2 - To book a seat only reservation select 'Seat only reservation' just below the passenger options, a pop-up will appear on your screen. Tick each passenger that requires a 'Seat only reservation'. A 'Seat only reservation' is for Free Travel pass holders or customer who are already in possession of a valid ticket and would like to reserve a seat online. A “Seat only reservation” is not a valid ticket for travel and must be accompanied by a valid ticket. Once you have all the required fields filled out select 'Go'. You will then receive a full list of available services and the total price for all passengers travelling will be displayed, this will include the price of the seat only reservation
- Step 3 - Choose the service(s) you wish to travel on by selecting one of the fares presented and select 'Book Tickets'. If you are looking for further information like intermediate stations and catering offering, select the 'Show details' button
- Step 4- Select Seats - You can select 'Automatic Seat Selection' or 'Manual Seat Selection'. Manual seat selection will allow you to choose which seats you would like to reserve, Automatic seat selection will choose for you
- Step 5 - Log in - If you have an existing Irish Rail account then you need to enter your email address and password and select 'Login'. If this does not work select "forgotten password" option and follow the instructions on screen. If you don’t have an account you can continue as a ‘Guest’ to the 'Passenger Details' page
- Step 6 - Passenger Details - Enter name(s). If you don't have an account, don't worry, you can register for an online account by simply ticking 'Yes, I wish to create an Iarnród Éireann account' under 'Customer details'. Once your booking is complete you will receive an email with your password, please ensure that you copy and paste the password from the email to avoid making a mistake typing in the password. You can update your password under 'My Account' if you wish
- Step 7 - Payment Overview - Enter in your card details, read and agree to the terms and conditions then click 'Pay Now'
- Step 8 - 3D Secure - You may then be brought to a WorldPay 3D Secure section, if your bank wants to verify the card presented when booking, banks do not always require this step. 3D Secure is a protocol used as an added layer of security for online credit and debit card transactions provided by your bank. This is achieved by adding another authentication step for online payments; a password. They will ask you for your secure password or some other information only you the cardholder should know. If you are not registered for 3D secure you will be presented with an option if your bank allows it. Once you have completed this successfully you must click 'Continue'
- Step 9 - Confirmation - You have now reached the confirmation page, make sure to write down your 'Ticket Collection Number' and keep it safe in order to collect your tickets, you will also receive an email confirmation of your booking with the details included. You can now add the booking to your calendar for convenience!