If your vehicle should collide with a railway bridge or if you witness a vehicle striking a bridge, ESPECIALLY of the type shown, ALWAYS inform Iarnród Éireann IMMEDIATELY. You could prevent a further more serious accident.
For further information on clearances, or to order copies of Railway Bridge Maps contact the office of the Chief Civil Engineer Infrastructure, Track and Signals HQ, Iarnród Éireann, Inchicore, Dublin 8 on (01) 703 4228
There are more than 1000 Unattended Level Crossings on the Iarnród Éireann Network. These are level crossings where a member of the public, the user, will have to open and shut the gates. Under the Railway Safety Act 2005 persons who fail to shut gates after use are liable to a fine in excess of €1000.
When using an Unattended Level Crossings, remember:
- Read the signs and follow the instructions
- Stop, look both ways and listen
- When the line is clear, open both gates and look in both directions again.
- Wait until the railway is fully clear before you cross. One train can hide another.
- Give way to trains. Trains are fast and they can’t stop for you.
- Shut the gates – it’s the Law! Open gates can lure others into danger.
At these crossings it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that it is safe to cross and that trains and their passengers are not endangered.