Major signalling works - bus transfers 4th to 25th June on all services to/from Limerick
15 May 2017
Due to a major resignalling project at Limerick, bus transfers will operate on all train services to/from Limerick’s Colbert Station from the evening of the 4th June to 25th June inclusive.
The following service alterations will apply:
- Bus transfers will be in operation for all services between Limerick and Limerick Junction, with onward train connections to/from Dublin and Cork
- Bus transfers will be operation for all services between Limerick and Ennis with onward train connections to/from Galway
- Bus transfers will be operation between Limerick and Birdhill with an onward train connection to/from Ballybrophy.
- Bus transfers will depart Limerick 15 minutes earlier than the advertised train departure time
- There will be a reduced service level to Sixmilebridge during this time.
- Customers requiring assistance should contact Iarnród Éireann at least 24 hours in advance at 1850 366222.
Please search the journey planner above for full details of the revised service arrangements for your journey.
Members of the public should note that all lines remain live during these works, with test and maintenance trains operating. User-operated level crossings should be operated correctly and safely at all times.
About the works
These essential works will replace two life-expired signal cabins that currently signal all routes into Limerick.
Semaphore and mechanical signals which have regulated signalling in the area for the past century will be replaced by one single signal cabin that will contain a computerised signalling system. These works will futureproof Limerick Station’s signalling needs for decades to come and will improve safety and reliability.
Signalling systems regulate the safe movement of trains, and the complexity of a terminal station like Limerick requires this significant closure to decommission the old system, and complete and commission the new signalling system.
In order to use the closure time as efficiently as possible, Iarnród Éireann’s Civil Engineering department will also be taking the opportunity to carry out essential works including:
- Maintenance to the Shannon Railway Bridge on the Limerick to Ennis Line
- Straightening of platform 3 in Limerick Station
- Other minor works in the Limerick area
Iarnród Éireann apologises for any inconvenience these essential works may cause.