InterCity Railcar Fleet
Since entering service in December 2007, our €400 million 183-carriage InterCity Railcar fleet has transformed quality, comfort and frequency levels right across the national rail network. The fleet was ordered from Mitsui of Japan, in partnership with Rotem of the Republic of Korea and Tokyo Car Corporation of Japan.
New InterCity Railcars
In March 2009, Iarnród Éireann placed an order for an additional 51 InterCity Railcars, which will bring the fleet up to a total of 234. This fleet expansion, worth €140 million, will benefit Intercity and longer-distance commuter services.
In May 2011, Iarnród Éireann took delivery of the first 12 new InterCity carriages at Dublin Port of this order. The remaining carriages are currently being delivered. An intensive testing period commenced in June 2011 before the carriages can enter passenger service.
The new carriages will enter service from late 2011 into the first half of 2012.
Benefits & Features of the InterCity Railcar fleet:
- Improved frequency and capacity on all InterCity routes
- Modern on-board comfort standards
- The replacement of outdated fleet across the network
- Improved accessibility for mobility-impaired customers
- Better reliability and performance, with integral engines in each carriage
- Automatic PA and information display systems
- Electronic seat reservation displays for web bookings
- Fully air-conditioned
- Internal CCTV system for improved security
- Sleek carriage design
- Advanced safety features throughout
Greenest diesel train fleet in Europe, meeting Stage 3B EU emission limits for nitrous oxides (2.0g/kWh) and Stage 3A limit for soot particles (0.2g/kWh)