Kildare Route Project Phase 2
The second phase of the Kildare Route Project has been deferred, following the reduction in the Exchequer Capital investment programme.
The project aims to contribute to meeting future demand for rail transport by increasing the capacity and frequency of trains serving the route.
Project Objectives & Benefits
The overall objective of the project is to facilitate increased capacity and frequency between the new DART Underground station at Inchicore and Hazelhatch/Celbridge station. When the four-tracking is complete, the tie-in at Inchicore shall accommodate DART Underground, Regional and Intercity services west of Heuston station.
Benefits of the Project include:
- Help reduce travel times for those travelling along the route between Hazelhatch and Inchicore and across the wider DART network;
- Provide a modern and efficient extension to the rail network that will enable the DART Underground to achieve its full potential;
- DART trains serving stations at Parkwest/Cherry Orchard, Clondalkin Fonthill Road, Kishoge, Adamstown and Hazelhatch/Celbridge;
- Introduction of DART services will increase passenger numbers and reduce the number of car users, cutting down on emissions and relieving traffic congestion;
- Providing necessary infrastructure which will require a minimum of maintenance;
Satisfy projected service demand along the route;
Provide an efficient safe service;
- Two dedicated tracks for DART services and two dedicated to intercity traffic;
- Stations will be fully accessible for those with mobility and sensory impairments;
- New improved road bridges at Kylemore Road and Le Fanu Road in the Cherry Orchard and Ballyfermot area;
It is proposed to:
- Install two new railway tracks in parallel to existing tracks between Cherry Orchard and Inchicore
- Electrify the route from Inchicore to Hazelhatch in order to deliver DART services. The route distance is approximately 15 kilometres
- Upgrade two bridges at Le Fanu Road and Kylemore Road
- Provide a new junction at Inchicore to separate DART services from Intercity and regional services bound for Heuston
This project is a key component in the Greater Dublin Integrated Rail Network. Its delivery is a prerequisite to the full utilisation of the proposed DART Underground commencing at Inchicore.
The DART Underground is being designed to provide extra capacity during peak hours between Inchicore and the existing DART line just north of Connolly station. (For detailed information on the DART Underground project please refer to the DART Underground page)