- Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail Website Policy
- Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail App Policy
- Tripstoremember.ie Policy
CIÉ Respects Your Privacy
Sites Covered by this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement applies to all CIÉ (Córas Iompair Éireann) Group of Companies owned websites and domains, and our wholly owned subsidiaries i.e. Bus Éireann - Irish Bus, Bus Átha Cliath - Dublin Bus, CIÉ Tours International and Iarnród Éireann - Irish Rail.
Links to Non-CIÉ Websites
The CIÉ websites may provide links to third-party websites for your convenience and information. CIÉ is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites or for the privacy policies and practices of other third parties.
Types of Information we Collect:
Personal Information - is information that is associated with your name or personal identity. CIÉ uses personal information to understand better your needs and interests and to provide you with better service. Once you choose to provide us with personal information, you can be assured it will be used only to support your relationship with CIÉ. We take seriously the trust you place in us. CIÉ will not sell, rent or lease your personal information to others.
On some CIÉ websites, you can order products or services, request information, subscribe to marketing or support materials, register yourself, or apply for a job at CIÉ. The types of personal information you provide to us on these pages may include name, postal address, phone number, e-mail address, user IDs and passwords, billing and transaction information, credit card information, contact preferences, educational and employment background and job interest data.
To personalize our websites, services or communications and improve our products and services, we may also ask you to provide us with information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, and experiences with our products or services. Providing this additional information is optional.
Smart Card Data - is data relating to the transactional use of the smartcard. Transaction locations are recorded for correct payment purposes. The holder of the smartcard and the registered user of the smartcard can see data indicating card usage.
Non-Personal Information - is data about usage and service operation that is not associated with a specific personal identity. CIÉ collects and analyzes non-personal information to evaluate how visitors use the CIÉ websites.
CIÉ is committed to protecting the privacy needs of children and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities and interests. CIÉ does not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13 and CIÉ does not target its websites to children under 13.
How CIÉ Uses your Information?
CIÉ uses your personal information to provide you with products or services and to help us better understand your needs and interests. Specifically, we use your information to help you complete a transaction or order, to communicate with you, to provide service and support, to update you on services and benefits, to personalize promotional offers and to personalize some CIÉ websites. Occasionally we may also use your information to contact you for market research regarding CIÉ products or services. We will give you the opportunity to choose your privacy preferences regarding such communications.
Credit card information is used only for payment processing and fraud prevention. Credit card information and sensitive personal data are not used for any other purpose by our financial services providers or CIÉ and will not be kept longer than necessary for providing the services, unless you ask us to retain your credit card information for future purchases.
Non-personal data is aggregated for reporting about CIÉ website usability, performance and effectiveness. It is used to improve the customer experience, usability and website content.
Who CIÉ Shares your Information With?
CIÉ will not sell, rent or lease your personal information to others. CIÉ will not share your personal information with third parties except in responding to your requests for products or services. Your permission will be requested when you submit your information. CIÉ may share customer information across CIÉ-owned business entities and companies working on our behalf.
CIÉ contracts with third-party service providers and suppliers to deliver complete products and services. Suppliers and service providers are required to keep confidential the information received on behalf of CIÉ and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for CIÉ. These service providers may change or we may contract with additional service providers to better accommodate our customers. CIÉ will not share personal information with any other third parties without your permission, unless required by law enforcement action, subpoena, or local law.
If a third party serves on CIÉ a subpoena or other lawful document compelling disclosure of your identity, CIÉ will use its best efforts to provide you notice to the latest address in our files. CIÉ is not responsible if your contact information is not current or if CIÉ is otherwise unable to provide notice.
CIÉ gives you the choice of receiving a variety of information that complements our products and services. You can subscribe to receive certain product and service specific information and CIÉ-wide marketing communications. CIÉ-wide communications may include new product information, special offers, or an invitation to participate in market research. We give you a choice regarding delivery of CIÉ-wide communications by postal mail, e-mail and telephone. We will make every effort to honour your preferences. This option does not apply to communications for the purpose of administering order completion.
Your Privacy Preference and Opting Out
Examples of unrelated uses include sending communications about special offers, product information, and marketing messages. You can, however, choose to receive these types of communications by following the instructions at the time of entering your personal data ("opt-in").
To opt-out of receiving communications you have expressly requested (such as e-mail newsletters, software updates, etc.), use any of the following methods:
- Select the e-mail "opt-out" or "unsubscribe" link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each subscription communication
- Return to the Web page(s) where you originally registered your preferences and follow the opt-out instructions
- Write to the CIÉ Webmaster - be sure to provide your name, e-mail and postal address, and relevant information about your CIÉ registrations.
Access To and Accuracy of your Information
CIÉ strives to keep your personal information accurate. We have implemented technology, management processes and policies to maintain customer data accuracy. We will provide you with access to your information, including making reasonable effort to provide you with online access and the opportunity to change your information. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as a password and user ID, before granting access to your data. Certain areas of CIÉ websites may limit access to specific individuals through the use of passwords and other personal identifiers.
Keeping your Information Secure
CIÉ is committed to protecting the information you provide. To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, CIÉ has in place appropriate physical and managerial procedures to safeguard the information we collect.
When you purchase travel tickets online or access your personal profile you can do so through a secure server. The use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology means that all personal information, such as your credit/debit card number, will be encrypted as it travels from your computer to the CIÉ Online Booking Engine. When received, the information is decrypted and processed in the same way as a normal card transaction by telephone. This security measure is working when you see either the symbol of an unbroken key or closed lock (depending on your browser) on the bottom of your browser window.
If your browser supports SSL, and if you entered our site via our secure server access, then transmission of any sensitive data will be protected. If your browser does not support SSL, we recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of any browser to enhance the security of further transactions, otherwise the transmission of your personal data may not be protected and CIÉ disclaims any responsibility in this regard.
Changes to this Statement
If there are updates to the terms of CIÉ's Privacy Statement, we will post those changes and update the revision date in this document, so you will always know what information we collect online, how we use it, and what choices you have.
Córas Iompair Éireann
E - Mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Revision: October 2004
1. A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the global address of documents and other resources on the World Wide Web. For example, http://www.CIE.ie is the URL for CIÉ's home page.
2. An IP address is an identifier for a computer or device on a Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) network, such as the World Wide Web. Networks use the TCP/IP protocol to route information based on the IP address of the destination. In other words, an IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the Web, allowing Web servers to locate and identify your computer. Computers require IP addresses in order for users to communicate on the Internet, browse and shop.
What are cookies?
Cookies on Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail websites
Iarnród Éireann set the following types of cookies on your device when you visit our websites;
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies enable services you have specifically asked for. These include session cookies that allow users to stay logged in while navigating through the website and carry out essential tasks such as adding items to a shopping basket when purchasing tickets on our website.
These cookies don’t usually contain any personally identifiable information and are typically set by Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail to provide specific services such as ecommerce transactions.
Performance and analytics cookies
These cookies are used to collect statistical information about visitors of the website and the pages they view. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and used anonymously. Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail set Google Analytics cookies to gather this statistical information.
Targeting and advertising cookies
These cookies are used to deliver advertising that is more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign.
Some examples of services that use these types of cookies include Google AdSense or DoubleClick.
Other third party cookies
Some cookies that have been set on our websites are not related to Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail. When you visit a page with content embedded from a third party such as YouTube, Twitter or Facebook, these service providers may set their own cookies on your web browser.
Controlling and disabling cookies
For more information on how to manage cookies, including opt-out of performance cookies please visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org/Default.aspx?page=1
For more information on how to opt out of Google Analytics please visit: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB
Our Apps use certain phone features to enhance user experience. Below we have provided a summary of the device features the apps may use and the reasoning why we use them.
At all times if you no longer wish for the app to use any of the features below, please go to you Apple device settings or Android Permissions Manager to amend access.
Storage - The permission is needed to be able to move the app to the SD card. The app needs to be able to read and write its own data afterwards. This is an Android feature allows the smartphone owner to free up as much internal / device memory as possible or help them if they change to a new handset.
Network Communication - This is necessary because the app needs to connect with our servers when queries are run which returns results to the smartphone on real-time and static train information. We are using live data because it is not possible to operate an offline version given the nature of the rail environment. There is also a check whether an internet connection is available.
Your Location - The app features an option to show stations nearby using Maps & Geo-tagging, so we need to know where the user is for this to work. Raw coordinates are sent to our servers to get a list of stations in the vicinity. The position is only used once and is not stored permanently.
Your personal information - This permission allows the app to read and write data to the device's calendar. The user can save trips to his calendar, so we need to be able to store the events. We use the reading permission to get a list of all calendars available as there may be more than one, so the user can choose which calendar the trip will be saved in. We do not read or manipulate any existing calendar entries.
This permission allows the user to place shortcuts on the device's home screen so the they have quick access to certain queries. This saves the user having to re-enter an origin and destination for every journey.
2. You must be at least 18 years of age to use the Service.
3. IE reserves the right to change these Terms from time to time. By continuing to access or use the Service, you agree to be bound by any such changes.
4. If you do not agree to all of the Terms and Conditions, you should not access or use the Service.
5. You may only submit a photograph by completing the form at [Insert link to relevant form. The form could include details of any limitations on the size of the photo file and file format accepted].
6. IE does not guarantee that any photograph will be posted, displayed or published on or via the Service.
7. You are fully responsible for any photograph that you submit for posting, display or publication on or via the Service.
8. You must ensure that any photograph containing any person’s face has been taken with the permission of the person(s) in the photograph.
9. You confirm that any photograph submitted:
9.1 is your own original work;
9.2 does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party;
9.3 is not offensive, abusive, indecent, pornographic, defamatory, sexist, harmful to minors, obscene, threatening, homophobic, encouraging racial hatred or violence or in breach of any person’s privacy or confidentiality rights; and
9.4 does not infringe any law.
10. IE does not claim ownership of any of your photographs. In consideration of IE’s provision of the Service, you:
10.1 grant each of IE and Córas Iompair Éireann (“CIE”) a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully transferable, assignable and sub-licensable right and licence to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, creative derivative works from, distribute and display your photograph (in whole or in part) and/or to incorporate such photograph in any other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, for any commercial, non-commercial, promotional, marketing, advertising or other purpose; and
10.2 irrevocably, unconditionally and in perpetuity waive any and all moral rights in any photograph submitted by you.
11. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless IE and CIE and their respective officers, employees, servants and agents against any and all claims, demands, losses, expenses, damages, awards, liabilities and costs (including legal costs) of whatsoever nature arising out of, in connection with or as a result of your use or misuse of the Service, including any breach by you of the Terms and Conditions.
12. The Service is provided on an “as is” basis and without any representations or warranties of any kind, either express or implied.
13. IE reserves the right to change, suspend or terminate the Service at any time, either in whole or in part, including your access to and/or use of the Service.
14. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, neither IE, CIE nor any of their respective officers, employees, servants or agents will be liable for any loss or damage arising out of or in connection with the Service (including in respect of any change, suspension or termination thereof) or your use of the Service, including, but not limited to, direct loss, loss of data, loss of or damage to property and claims of third parties or for any indirect or consequential loss whatsoever, even if IE or CIE has been advised of the possibility of any such loss or damage, or any such loss or damage was reasonably foreseeable.
15. Each of the provisions of these Terms is severable and if any provision is held by any court or other competent authority to be illegal, void or unenforceable in whole or in part, the legality, validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be affected or impaired thereby.
16. These Terms shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Ireland and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ireland.