NEW: Manage your rail booking and choose from range of flexible fare types
24 April 2017
Iarnród Éireann has today launched a new online booking system on our website which will give rail customers more control, choice and flexibility than ever before, including the ability to manage your booking, and choose from a range of fares from low fare to fully flexible.
Highlights of the changes include:
- Manage my Booking: Customers will now be able to manage their own booking online up to 90 minutes before departure on the date of travel or until they print their ticket. Customers will be able to:
- Amend their booking, including train time, name and seat selection
- Cancel a leg of travel or the entire booking
- Choose from a new range of ticket types, from Low Fare to Fully Flexible: Customers will have a choice of three main ticket types for Intercity journeys:
- Low Fare: The cheapest option, customers will be able to travel on the service booked only to get the best fares. Customers can change name and seat selection online in advance.
- Semi Flexible: This offers some flexibility. Customers can switch to the train just before or after their booked service without any charge. In addition, they can change to other services online in advance, or cancel their booking entirely, by paying a 20% fee, a significant reduction from the current manual system.
- Fully Flexible: Customers can make time changes or cancellations online up to 90 minutes before departure for no charge. Customers can also switch to any other train on their route on the day of travel for no charge.
- CityGold / Premier Class: These services and ticket options will remain available on the Dublin/Cork and Dublin/Belfast routes available.
- New website design and layout: A new cleaner, clearer look for our website, which displays progress with your booking, and service details like transfer points more clearly for customers.
Further features planned in the coming months include:
- Make larger Group Bookings online: Customers will be able to book groups online of up to 30 people, up from the current maximum of six, with group discounts offered.
- Book your catering, station car parking, or other extras online: at the time of booking, or using the Manage my Booking feature closer to date of travel, customers will be able book their catering in advance of travel, book parking or their bicycle space on board, and the system will have the ability for other extra options to be added.
- Cross-route booking: Enabling customers to book online journeys including connections across all Intercity routes.
The changes are the first in a series of initiatives as part an investment in customer systems including ticketing, customer service and online systems which will deliver major customer service improvements making rail travel easier to buy and easier to use. The programme is funded by the National Transport Authority.
We are delighted to begin to bring more control to rail customers. These improvements are based on what our customers have asked us for – the ability to manage your own booking and to choose the type of flexibility which suits you best is hugely important for customers. Some customers have regular travel patterns and will love the Low Fare option. Others may have meetings or appointments which may end early or late, and the Semi Flexible or Fully Flexible options give real choice.
In addition, making changes to your bookings is now so simple – and there’s no account needed. With your booking reference, you can make a range of changes right up to 90 minutes before travel.