Papal Visit to Ireland - Train Services For The Pope's Mass at Phoenix Park
Get a Ticket. Plan Your Transport For The Pope's Mass
For the first time in almost 40 years, Ireland will receive a Papal visit. Pope Francis will be in Dublin for the World Meeting of Families 2018 on Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th August 2018.
The official itinerary shows that the Pope will be attending numerous private and public events.
As large crowds are expected to be in attendance for the Pope's mass at Phoenix Park on Sunday August 26th, please be aware that;
"Advance Purchase is Mandatory on Intercity Services"
How to Get to Phoenix Park - Train Services Information and Directions
Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail wishes to advise customers that we are increasing capacity and providing additional train services where possible to bring customers to and from the Pope's mass at Phoenix Park on Sunday 26th August in a safe and efficient manner. The papal mass will be at the site of the Papal Cross in the heart of the Phoenix Park and is set to begin at 15:00hrs.
The closest train stations to Phoenix Park
- Dublin Heuston Station - 700metres from Park Gate Street entrance to the Park. From there it is a 2.5km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 1.7km from the Islandbridge Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
- Ashtown Station - 650metres from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross(view directions on google maps).
- Navan Road Parkway Station - 1.3km from the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park. From there it is a 3km walk to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps). Alternatively, 2.2km from the Castleknock Gate entrance to the Phoenix Park and a 2.2km walk from there to the Papal Cross (view directions on google maps).
Due to the increased volume of passengers expected to travel for this event, train services will be extremely busy, both before and after the papal mass. Due to this, Iarnród Éireann will have special arrangements in place:
- Intercity Services advance purchasing online or by phone is mandatory for August 26th
- Intercity Services tickets will not be available at station on the day or in advance.
- Seating will not be assigned on Intercity Services before and after the Pope's mass. An unallocated seating policy will be in operation. This means you will not be assigned a seat on your ticket. Customers are advised to make use of any available seats on the service
- Only Low Flex fares will be available. Customers must travel on the service they have booked on to ensure travel. The ability to change trains, cancel or seek refund will not be permitted
- Those in possession of a Free Travel Pass, Open Tickets, Seasonal and Taxsaver ticket(s) or any other open tickets must book a Seat Only Reservation online in order to ensure passenger allocation to services operating before and after the Pope's mass at Phoenix Park
- The price of Seat Only Reservation will be free as we will not be offering assigned seating on the following services;
- 16:00hrs and 19:00hrs Dublin to Belfast
- Translink will be operating services from Northern Ireland. To book services originating from Northern Ireland, please visit www.translink.co.uk
- 08:25hrs and 10:25hrs Cork to Dublin Heuston
- 16:00hrs, 17:00hrs, 18:00hrs, 19:00hs and 21:00hrs Dublin Heuston to Cork
- 07.10hrs, 08:05hrs and 11:00hrs Galway to Dublin Heuston
- 16:35hrs, 18:45hrs, 19.15hrs and 20:30hrs Dublin Heuston to Galway
- 07.25hrs, 08:25hrs and 10:25hrs Limerick to Dublin Heuston
- 18:25hrs, 19:25hrs and 21:00hrs Dublin Heuston to Limerick
- 07.05hrs and 09:40hrs Rosslare to Dublin Connolly
- 18:30hrs and 19.42hrs Dublin Connolly to Rosslare
- 06.55hrs, 09:00hrs and 11:00hrs Sligo to Dublin Connolly
- 16:00hrs, 17:05hrs, 18.30hrs and 19:05hrs Dublin Connolly to Sligo
- 07.10hrs Tralee to Cork
- 19:05hrs Dublin Heuston to Tralee
- 07.15hrs and 09:05hrs Waterford to Dublin Heuston
- 17:45hrs, 19.40hrs and 18:40hrs Dublin Heuston to Waterford
- 06.00hrs Athlone to Claremorris
- 06.00hrs Ballina to Manulla Junction
- 06.10hrs and 07:50hrs Westport to Dublin Heuston
- 13.35hrs Claremorris to Athlone
- 14.00hrs Claremorris to Westport
- 18:30hrs Dublin Heuston to Westport
Our Journey Planner can help you plan your train trip ahead of time.
DART and Commuter Services
Extra services will be provided and the Papal Travel Card is valid on all DART services. Those wishing to travel by DART may also purchase their ticket on the day, use a valid season ticket or their leapcard.
Large crowds are expected to travel, it is advisable to allow plenty of time to queue for your ticket or purchase in advance. The details of the DART and Commuter timetable for Sunday 26th August is set out below,
- Maynooth services will operate with a 10 minute frequency before and after the Pope's mass
- DART services will operate with a 10 minute frequency before and after the Pope's mass
- Portlaoise services 07.57hrs and 08.20hrs Portlaoise to Dublin Heuston
- Dundalk/Drogheda services information on additional services to be announced at a later date
Those intending to travel on Commuter services may purchase their ticket on the day, use a valid season ticket, their leapcard or Papal Travel Card if they are within the Short Hop Zone.
Travelling to Knock
Train transport to Knock on 26th August will be extremely limited. Those wishing to travel must book a ticket in advance at www.irishrail.ie this includes Department of Social Protection pass holders and annual ticket holders. If you do not have an advance booking you will not be permitted to travel.
Limited services will operate from Westport, Ballina & Athlone with a bus connection at Claremorris for Knock. Full details of these services will be available soon on www.irishrail.ie
For more information on this visit, especially the events open to the public, please see Pope in Ireland.
Useful Information & Links
- Iarnród Éireann Call Centre (01) 836 6222 (08.30hrs-18.00hrs Monday to Friday excluding public holidays)
- Press statement: Taoiseach welcomes itinerary press release
- An Garda Síochána
- Bus Éireann
- Dublin Bus
- General Information & Media Information
- Tickets for the Pope's mass & Ticket Information
- Papal Travel Card