Quantity Surveyor, Network Enhancements, Capital Investment Division – Iarnród Éireann
Location - Inchicore
Applications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Quantity Surveyor – Network Enhancements within the Capital Investments Division. The role involves working within the Railway Systems department on the development and roll-out of the National Train Control Centre (NTCC), Train Management System (TMS), Train Protection System (TPS) and Customer Information Systems (CIS) work programmes. The successful candidate will report to the Contracts Manager on a daily basis, and more widely to the Railway Systems Programme Manager and the Network Enhancements Commercial Manager.
The successful candidate shall be a Chartered Quantity Surveyor with minimum 5 years post qualification experience. The role offers an opportunity to work in a busy and dynamic working environment on a broad range of contract types across construction and systems contracts work programmes.
- Advise on appropriate procurement and contract strategies
- Scheduling and delivery of procurement programmes
- Prepare project budget cost estimates and detailed cost plans and undertake regular reviews and provide updates as required
- Assist with the preparation of tender documentation including working in conjunction with the Procurement Department in the timely release of tenders to the market
- Working closely with other design team members in the development of robust project designs
- Preparation of bills of quantities and pricing documents – working knowledge of Cubit measurement software will be advantageous
- Preparation of pre-tender estimates
- Review tender documentation and advise on completeness of the design information to ensure that the fixed price lump sum principle in the public works contracts is not being compromised because of incomplete design, unrealistic programmes etc
Post Contract Functions
- Preparation of interim payment certificates for works contracts and Consultants accounts
- Tracking and reconciling works contracts and Consultants accounts against contract sum amounts and purchase order amounts
- Assessment and agreement of contract variations and claims, and maintaining change registers
- Negotiating and agreeing final accounts
- Systems administration of works contracts and Consultants payments – working knowledge of SAP or similar financial administration systems will be advantageous;
- Diligent reporting of contract costs
- Assisting with the preparation of expenditure cashflows, and closely monitoring project expenditure in conjunction with the Finance Department
- Deliver Network Enhancements projects to authorised budget, time, quality and scope targets by:
- Diligent Contract Management from tender stage to project completion
- Effective utilization of in-house and external resources
- In conjunction with the Contracts Manager ensure that value for money is delivered and achieved on all Contracts awarded
Please note that the above list is not exhaustive. A full job description can be requested from HR Shared Services.
- Minimum qualifications are QS / Construction Economics degree or Construction / Project Management degree and/or Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS or SCSI) Member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors or Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Minimum of 5-10 years relevant experience commensurate to this role
- Proven commercial skills, awareness and experience (pre & post-contract duties) on large construction projects
- Demonstrable ability to produce bills of quantities, tender and contract documentation
- Demonstrable ability to manage and administer construction contracts
- Detailed knowledge and application of the Public Works suite of contracts
- Knowledge and awareness of other standard forms of Contract – RIAI, IEI, FIDIC and target cost contracts (NEC etc)
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills
- Excellent IT Skills and knowledge of relevant software (MS Office, Cubit or other similar measurement software
- Ability to influence others, eg during negotiations between the different parties to the project
- Experience of Final Account negotiations and settlements
- Demonstrable ability to produce and manage budgets;
- Understanding of Project Management Procedures;
- Experience and involvement on construction dispute resolution proceedings (conciliation, arbitration, adjudication etc);
- Previous working experience on railway related projects;
- Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team including; signalling, electrical, telecoms, civils, structures, track, environmental and construction elements
- Commercial Awareness;
- Demonstrated project management experience;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Established Specialist Knowledge;
- Demonstrable ability in planning and organising
A competency-based interview will form part of this selection process. Candidates may be shortlisted on the basis of their application/CV and relevant experience.
If any applicants have special requirements, please advise Shared Services when forwarding your application.
If you are interested in applying for this role, CV and cover letter should be forwarded to: email@example.com by 4pm Friday 10th February 2023.
At Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail we are committed to embedding diversity and inclusion in all that we do. This starts with how we recruit people. It is important to us that all individuals feel welcome to join our organisation and we take great care to ensure an even playing field for all.
We will strive to provide reasonable accommodation to all candidates where required and requested.
We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or disability.