Train travel during COVID-19: full schedule operating, 50% capacity available for use
10 May 2021
What we are doing to keep you safe, what you can do to assist us, and refund arrangements
- Train travel during COVID-19
- What we are doing to keep you safe
- What you can do to help us
- Refund arrangements
We are working to ensure that your journey is a safe one during COVID-19.
Customers are asked at all times to act in line with Government and health authorities’ advice regarding travel by public transport.
Social distancing measures are restricting capacity, so customers are advised:
- Under the Government plan for living with COVID-19, public transport is operating with 50% of on-board capacity available for use, and a full schedule is operating across the network.
- Customers should avoid peak travel unless your journey is for essential work, education, care provision or medical purposes.
- At other times, please note that at busier times, there may be delays in boarding on DART and Commuter services due to capacity constraints.
- Until further notice, those who travel by Intercity must book travel in advance at this website. This will ensure the available capacity is effectively managed, providing rail customers with a safe and sanitary travelling environment.
- 50 percent of on-board capacity is available for use.
- We are thoroughly and regularly cleaning trains, and customer touch points on trains and in stations.
- We have seat markers in trains and in stations to ensure appropriate distancing.
- Our colleagues are wearing face coverings, and are provided with hand sanitiser and other PPE necessary for their roles.
- Hand sanitiser units are in all 144 stations on our network. Up to 50 stations are being equipped with dedicated vending machines, from which face coverings, personal hand sanitiser and gloves are available.
- Avoid peak travel Social distancing measures are restricting capacity, so customers are advised to only use public transport at peak and busy times for necessary journeys.
- Please use our journey planner to see the latest up to date services information, including any alterations, and to book tickets.
- If you are travelling on Intercity, you must pre-book travel in advance, to ensure safe distancing within the available on-board capacity. If your plans change, please change your booking. To assist in this, consider booking return journeys as two single legs.
- Only one seat in two is available. If you are travelling with a person who requires a carer or guardian, please ensure one carer or guardian is travelling per person.
- Please note that group booking reservations are not currently available due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Make sure you have a face covering with you before you leave to take your journey.
- Bikes must be booked online prior to travel
In the station
- You must wear a face covering in stations.
- If you are buying your ticket at the station, please avoid using cash if at all possible. Use ticket vending machines, Leap Card, or contactless payment.
- Please observe hand hygiene, and use hand sanitiser stations where provided.
- Please do not sit in marked seats in station waiting areas.
- Please maintain social distancing from customers and employees, including on platforms and when boarding and alighting, and follow any advice or direction from employees.
On board the train
- You must wear a face covering to travel, unless exempted under Government regulation.
- Please do not sit in marked seats.
- Please respect others space, and minimise movement within the train.
- Please follow any advice or direction from employees.
- Please remove all items from your seat and table when leaving the train, and dispose of litter in bins provided.
- Please note:
- Catering services will not be provided until further notice.
- Alcohol is prohibited on all services.
- The regulation governing face coverings on public transport does not provide for removal of face coverings to eat and drink, but to take medication only.
Cancellations and amendments
For customers who now must cancel or amend Intercity travel as a result of Government level 5 arrangements from 27th December or 6th January, you will not be charged for cancelling or amending travel. Arrangements are as follows:
- Low-flex, semi-flex or printed tickets: Please contact Customer Care for cancellations. For amendments, you may use your existing ticket in conjunction with a seat reservation booked through the with 'Free Travel Pass or valid ticket holders' option on the Journey Planner.
- Fully flexible and first class: Amendments or cancellations are allowed online for free up to 60 minutes in advance of the outward journey
TaxSaver Annual Tickets
The National Transport Authority has confirmed that customers who have an annual TaxSaver ticket for Public Service Obligation (PSO) public transport services provided by Iarnród Éireann Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann, Luas and Go Ahead Ireland are to have their tickets extended for a period of six months.
This effectively gives customers back the portion of the ticket that they could not use as a result of the Government’s Covid‐related travel restrictions, and acknowledges the changes in travel and work that have come about since.
The measure applies to all customers whose tickets were valid on April 1.
The customer is not required to fill in forms or supply any details. Any customer whose ticket expires, and who has not already requested a refund, will automatically be provided with a new ticket on their existing Leap card, which extends validity for six months from the date of expiry of their original ticket.
Collecting the new ticket is straightforward for the customer and is identical to the process already in place for TaxSaver tickets. Iarnród Éireann customers collect it automatically as they travel, as is the case for Luas customers. Bus customers can collect it using their Leap Top‐Up App or in a Leap Card retailer. Bus Éireann Point to Point ticket holders will receive a new ticket to include the six month extension.
Customers who have renewed their annual TaxSaver ticket since April 1 will also benefit from these measures.
Where the customer wishes to receive a refund rather than avail of the extension, it is still open to them to make such a request via their employer under existing terms and conditions. For more information, please visit the TaxSaver website.
Thank you for your cooperation
We thank you for cooperation during this challenging time for all of us. We are engaging with, and will continue to be guided by all health and government agencies to ensure the health and safety of customers and employees.
18 March 2021
11 May 2021