Proposed timetable changes from 10th December 2023
Extra services on Cork, Carlow, Westport, Portlaoise, Mallow and Drogheda routes, and existing services with added stops at Clara and Ballinasloe are highlights of the draft timetable
Iarnród Éireann in conjunction with the National Transport Authority is planning to implement timetable alterations from 10th December 2023. The company has published details of the proposed schedule, and invites the public to submit feedback in advance of the finalisation of the new timetable.
Please note feedback is welcomed for all routes as part of this consultation, whether changes are proposed or not.
Changes are currently proposed on the following routes:
- Dublin to Cork Intercity
- Dublin to Limerick Intercity
- Dublin/Cork to Tralee Intercity
- Dublin to Waterford Intercity
- Dublin to Galway Intercity
- Dublin to Westport / Ballina Intercity
- Heuston to Portlaoise Commuter
- Limerick to Ballybrophy (via Nenagh)
- Limerick Junction to Waterford
- Limerick to Galway
- Cork Commuter
- Dublin to Rosslare InterCity
- Dublin Connolly to Belfast Enterprise
- Northern Commuter
- Maynooth Commuter
Highlights of the proposed new timetables are:
- Additional 06:00hrs Dublin Heuston to Cork service (Monday to Friday) arriving at 08:32hrs, giving a pre-09:00hrs arrival to Cork city
- Additional 12:20hrs Dublin Heuston to Carlow and 15:15hrs Carlow to Dublin Heuston service daily (Monday to Friday)
- Additional 16:20hrs Westport to Athlone and 21:08hrs Athlone to Westport service daily (Monday to Saturday), providing connections to/from Dublin Heuston at Athlone.
- Connection from/to Ballina to the new 21:08hrs Athlone to Westport above.
- Significant expansion to Heuston to Portlaoise Commuter Sunday services, with 8 additional Commuter services from Portlaoise to Heuston, and 7 from Heuston to Portlaoise, extending existing Heuston/Kildare services; there will also be additional stops on a number of Heuston/Cork services at Portlaoise, to connect with these Commuter services
- Morning peak service each way between Cork and Mallow, operating at 07:20hrs Cork to Mallow, and 07:50hrs Mallow to Cork
- Additional 12:20hrs, 13:27hrs and 14:20hrs Dublin Connolly to Drogheda, and 11:40hrs and 12:40hrs Drogheda to Dublin Connolly services (Mon to Fri)
Additional stops on existing services
- Four Heuston to Cork and five Cork to Heuston services on Sundays will additionally serve Portlaoise, to provide connections to the enhanced Portlaoise Commuter service
- 19:35hrs Dublin Heuston to Galway (Mon to Sat) and 18:45hrs Heuston to Galway (Sunday) will additionally serve Clara, providing a later final service to Clara.
- 06:25hrs Galway to Dublin Heuston (Mon to Sat) will additionally serve Ballinasloe
Journey time and other significant timetable changes
- Kishoge Station will open in 2024 with local Heuston & Phoenix Park Tunnel services serving this station. This timetable has made provision in train timings for the future opening of this station at Kishogue.
- Journey time improvements on many Dublin Heuston to Cork and Limerick services, arising from recent infrastructure works.
- Significant changes to Saturday and Sunday DART timetables to improve performance, with time changes resulting on other routes to/from Dublin Connolly as a result
- A number of other minor schedule alterations to improve punctuality.
Thank you for your interest in submitting feedback on the proposed timetable amendments.
Please note the deadline for public consultation feedback regarding the proposed timetable amendments has now passed.
Iarnród Éireann and the National Transport Authority will review all suggestions received. Suggested alterations which cannot be implemented at this timetable change will be retained in a database for consideration at future timetable reviews.