Rail Level Crossings
Safety at Unattended Level Crossings
There are more than 1000 Unattended Level Crossings on the Iarnród Éireann Network. These are level crossings where a member of the public, the user, will have to open and shut the gates. Under the Railway Safety Act 2005 persons who fail to shut gates after use are liable to a fine in excess of €1000.
- Always expect a train!
- Stop, Look both ways, listen
- When the Railway is clear, cross quickly
- Shut & fasten the gate after you, it's the law!
Remember, never ever stop on the railway line and always expect a train
At these crossings it is the responsibility of the user to ensure that it is safe to cross and that trains and their passengers are not endangered.
Below you will find detailed information for different users use of unattended level crossings:
- Farm and Farming Contractors safe use of unattended level crossings
- Local users safe use of unattended level crossings
- Service and Emergency vehicles safe use of unattended level crossings
- Trucks, vans, lorries and coaches safe use of unattended level crossings
|Always expect a train||Don't ever think it's safe to predict when the next train will come|
|Always use the Rail Cross Code at unattended railway crossings||Don't drive onto the railway until you can see enough free space on the other side|
|Always obey road signs and markings||Don't blindly follow a vehicle across the railway crossing|
|Always switch off music systems and put away mobile phones||Don't stop on the railway crossing|
|Always control children and animals in your care||Don't park and leave your vehicle near the railway crossing|
|Always dismount if you are a cyclist or horse rider||Don't overtake another vehicle on or when approaching the railway crossing|
|Always shut and fasten the gates after crossing the railway||Don't play, or wear hoods or headphones, on or near railway tracks|