Iarnród Éireann and Sustainability
Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail is set to be the backbone of a public transport network that prioritises sustainable mobility for our citizens, visitors, communities and companies.
However, we in Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail place sustainability not only at the heart of the service and infrastructure we deliver, but also at the heart of how we deliver them.
A sustainable national transport system, with our railway network playing a pivotal role, raises the quality of life by:
- Reducing environmental impacts while improving climate resilience
- Helping to create a more sustainable economy
- Enhancing social inclusion and access to our economy and society for all
Our team of over 4,100 colleagues are working every day to achieve this, in what we do today, and in how we build for the future.
Our actions align with and support the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Ireland’s Climate Action Plan, National Development Plan 2021-2030, the European Green Deal, the CIÉ Group’s Sustainability Strategy and the EU’s “Fit for 55” initiative.
For more information you can download our SustainabilitIE document here.
Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail and Sustainability
Iarnród Éireann has been chosen by the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications as a Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) Champion for 2023/24, as one of just 26 organisations from across society to be recognised as leaders in driving Ireland’s progress towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We in Iarnród Éireann place sustainability not only at the heart of the service and infrastructure we deliver, but also at the heart of how we deliver them. As we work to become the backbone of the national sustainable transport network, we are excited to collaborate, learn and share our own insights with the chosen Champions as we strive to incorporate the SDGs into our everyday operations.
As an SDG Champion we must:
- Be an advocate for the SDGs and the achievement of the climate change agenda
- Act as a good example of how an organisation or group can help to achieve the SDGs and integrate them into their work or activities (something we strive to achieve every day)
- Share the learnings and experiences with others to help them contribute to achieving the SDGs
You can read more on the SDGs and Ireland here: http://www.gov.ie/sdgs/ or more on the United Nations and the SDGs here: https://sdgs.un.org/goals